01 December 2007

My Favorite Actors Who Are Not Dead, Part One.

This is the first of several posts that will hopefully bring your attention to some kickass actors. I've decided to focus on actors who have not snuffed it yet.

Why? Dunno, perhaps if not, I'd talk incessantly about John Cazale , who is probably my favorite actor ever, and who only appeared in five films (which were ALL nominated for best picture, by the way) before he died of bone cancer at age 42.

And he was freaking brilliant in EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. When I discovered his work (years after he'd died, because I was, like, 10 or something when he passed away), I mourned the fact that this is all we get from him, five perfect performances.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be talking about actors who are not dead. So.

Paddy Considine


WHY: Because he can go from funny to frightening in .2 seconds. Because he's a chameleon who, even though his appearance doesn't change much from role to role (apart from a haircut and/or occasional facial hair), completely inhabits his characters to the point where you can't imagine he doesn't talk like, walk like, behave like that in real life. Because he's one of the few actors who can break my heart watching him.

WATCH: Dead Man's Shoes, 24 Hour Party People (small role, but man, is he ferocious. My first exposure to Paddy, and I totally crushed on him after seeing this movie.), A Room for Romeo Brass, In America, Hot Fuzz (small role again, but the funniest person in the room in all his scenes. I'm not biased either, the DVD cast commentary proves it. The rest of the actors worship him, including SimonPegg, thankyouverymuch.)

No comments: