01 July 2008

Summer's Guilty Pleasures, TV Edition

One of the reasons I like summer (really, one of the only reasons I like summer, because summer sucks so hard) is that, instead of being bound to my regular TV-watching schedule, I can record a bunch of fun stuff instead. My current favorites:


1) Ninja Warrior (G4)
Japanese show where competitors try to complete a four-stage obstacle course. I'm in awe of these people because I couldn't even do the easiest round. I couldn't even do the first task in the easiest round.

It's easier to show you the awesomeness of Ninja Warrior than tell you about it:





Sometimes I watch Ninja Warrior at the gym (because G4 airs it 24/7, I swear to God) and I almost fall off the treadmill because I make involuntary sympathy movements while the competitors are running the course.


2) Snapped (Oxygen)
I freaking love this show - currently, there's about 30 episodes teed up on my DVR. Each 1/2 hour episode is a mini-doc about a woman who murders her husband/lover/random person. The show's title is misleading, because you think that the women have SNAPPED and were driven to kill. But mostly, they're just really greedy and want lots and lots of money.


3) The Shopping Bags (Fine Living Network)
Canadian show featuring two women who test and recommend the best of everything from roller blades to sake to maxipads. I watch it because they say "aboot". I like Canadian accents.


4) Intervention (A&E)
*sigh* This show makes me feel icky and heartbroken. And I'm cynical that the featured substance abusers can stay clean. But I hope. And Jeff Van Vonderen is pretty rockin'.


5) True Life (MTV)
"I'm a Pregnant Alcoholic Black Sheep on Steroids Who Lives a Double Life in Staten Island."

!!!

*makes popcorn*


6) Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (Food Network)
I certainly don't watch this show for Guy Fieri (to be fair, however, he's supposed to be a really nice guy. DD&D has filmed two episodes in my town). I watch this show solely for the burgers. Buuuuuuuuuuurgerrrrrrrs.


7) Doctor Who (Sci Fi)
I know that some of you (especially those of the British persuasion) consider Doctor Who some mighty fine quality television. And I can agree to some extent. David Tennant is tremendous. Steven Moffat's episodes are well-crafted. I'm genuinely enjoying the current season. But overall, I definitely consider DW a guilty pleasure because it's so cheesy (need better aliens!!). Also, I've also been recording...the Rose era. *shudder*


8) Mystery Diagnosis (Discovery Health)
True Fact: Sometimes I attempt to beat the show to the diagnosis by Googling the person's symptoms. This should give you a good idea of the extent of my geekiness (vast).


9) Psychic Kids (A&E)
Do I really need to say any more?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most Canadians don't say "aboot". It depends mostly upon where you're from. The ones I know who say it that way are usually from down east.

Cat said...

These two are from Ontario, I think. That area has the "aboot" accent, yes?

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm from Ontario and most of the people I know don't say it that way. Nobody I know from the US has commented on my pronounciation, so I think I'm safe.

It could be that they have parents from down east. Most of people I know who pronounce it that way are from Newfoundland or Nova Scotia. I first thought it might be a rural vs. urban thing, but I was raised in a relatively rural place so I doubt that's it.

On a different note, Ninja Warrior is pretty great. I'm behind in my Doctor Who watching though, by several weeks.

Moody said...

Oh man this series of Doctor Who is brilliant! I recommend you also check out Torchwood. It's a spin-off of Dr.Who that seems to be a bit more adult.

Cat said...

Oh, I'm quite familiar with Torchwood - I actually prefer it to Doctor Who (heresy!).

I loooooove Torchwood, it's so cheesy. John Barrowman cries in EVERY episode.

Moody said...

I'm confused. More than one person writes for this blog? Or is it multiple personalities like in Fight Club?

Erin said...

We are one person. We think as one. We write as one.

Cha, it's a multi-person operation here, Moody. You were understandably confused cause mostly I do all the talking.

Torchwood is stupid. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is TREMENDOUS however.

Cat said...

I am Ruthie to your Sybil.

And shut up, Torchwood is fabulous in its own histrionic, unintelligible kind of way.

Moody said...

I can't remember if it was you or Meredith who liked the X-files but right now every season is 16.99 each at Best Buy.

Anonymous said...

Intervention is the most amazing show. I feel compelled to Tivo every episode and watch them 24/7 and sometimes sneak a The First 48 in there. I like uplifting television!

Anonymous said...

True Life rocks my pants.